Saturday, September 26, 2009

I won't do it.

I will NOT  do it.
I will stand my ground on this.
It is, I believe, a matter of highest principle.

I believe, as I am sure you do, that when a language dies and gives up its words, they are released into the public domain – a Creative Commons license, if you will.

When the English language decides to adopt and take as its own one of these at adrift words, it becomes English, in toto, owning no allegiance to its former state. When in English, do as the English speakers do.
My good friends I refuse to accept the stare decisis on this.   To me, English is a place where Latin teachers dare not tread.

I do not do this out of an ignorance of Latin -- I was enriched with four years of Latin.  Cicero and I have stared each other in the metaphorical eye.  (I will not even brag here of two additional years among the Greek language which gives its words away with no covenants  - open source as it were.)

I merely have a problem with purveyors of Latin telling me how English should be used, as if, once spoken in Latin, it is now de iure, ad infinitum.

No, I will not say "data are."   I know it marks me as a common man.   "Datum is, Data are," scholars will scold me from latin lecterns.  Quo iure?
I stand fast.   Praesto et persisto!

Does one say "fish are good for you?"  No, because fish can not trace there lineage to Caesar or Cato.
"Fish is good."  we all entone.   Fish here is a construct of the mind neither plural nor singular.

Why is there "sand" on a beach, and not "sands" as in the "sands of time."  Common usage becomes correct usage.

My words will be spoken as the English-tongued speak and they will not of latine dictum.

I believe there is data to support me.
-steve buser

No comments:

Post a Comment